Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegan Garlic Lentil Thing

A friend of mine raved about this Salmon with Lentils recipe from Ina Garten, so I decided to make it. Without the salmon. And leaving out ingredients I didn't happen to have lying around.

  • 1⁄2 pound green lentils (it called for French lentils, but I am a patriot)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 tsp thyme (it called for fresh, but I used dried)
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  •  4 chopped carrots (it called for carrots and celery but I didn't have celery, so I just used extra carrots)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (Ina specifically called for "good red wine vinegar," but I didn't have any red wine vinegar. Also, I'm not sure if my balsamic vinegar is good. It's probably just "average.")
This was pretty cheap vinegar, but it does appear to have survived a volcanic eruption.
 Anyway. First, soak the lentils in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, start cooking the onion with the oil, thyme, and salt & pepper until the onion turns clear. Then throw in the garlic for 2 more minutes.

Then drain the lentils and add them to the pan. Then add everything else except the vinegar and simmer for 20 minutes.

Finally, add the vinegar and take it off the heat.

I ate this over brown rice, but if you are interested in serving it over salmon, you can consult Ina Garten.

I find that I don't really have the photography skills to make lentils look appealing, but this was easy to make and really good! The vinegar gives it a really good flavor kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment