Friday, February 18, 2011

A Spinach Feta Couscous Affair

Oh hello! I made this recipe a few days ago and it was good.

Ingredients: 


  • 1 12 ounce box couscous (about 1 1/2 cups)** I used 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat couscous and I feel like it was really heavy on the couscous. I might cut it down to 1 cup or even 3/4 cup (and the appropriately scaled down amount of broth) if I make this again.
  • 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 bunch fresh spinach (I buy my spinach in a big box so IDK, I just used 4 handfuls. I'd maybe use even more next time.)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (I added these because some of the recipe reviews said this was kind of bland. It was good but surprisingly hot. Next time I might use slightly less. Don't use any if you don't like spice, duh.)
Anyway, boil the broth and put in the couscous. Cover it and turn off the heat. (If you've never made couscous before, read the package. It's easy though, just cover it in boiling liquid until it absorbs all of it, like 5-10 minutes. Fluff it with a fork when it's done. Eat it all the time. Get the whole wheat kind.)

Meanwhile cut everything that needs to be cut. Sautee the onion, mushroom, and garlic. Add the oregano & lemon juice (& red pepper). Then put the spinach on top until it wilts. Toss all that stuff in with the veggies and then finally add the feta! MMM.

2 comments:

  1. I've made a similar dish, with no mushrooms (which I don't like), but with tomatoes (which I think you don't like?). But something we both might like is: garbanzo beans! They are a delicious addition to the spinach/feta/couscous combination. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that sounds good too! I do like tomatoes but didn't think to add them to this recipe.

    ReplyDelete